Saturday, June 7, 2008

There is no such thing as a traffic accident.

Sunday, June the 7th.

Last night the bloody cat managed to piss in my bed. So I am on the sofa. Its 1 in the morning. I fall asleep after a while on the Internet.
Its now 5 am and the cat has decided its going to gain ninja powers tonight. She hops, somehow, over the gate that separates the rest of the house and the lounge. And starts the usual irritating purring. I awaken, horrified at the thought of being covered in piss. Thankfully I'm dry.
Anyway its now half 6 and I'm failing miserably at keeping her out of the lounge. So i grab a dvd from the shelf and watch a Steven Seagull film. Now thoroughly bored i decide just to get up. Well thankfully my friend gets up and she locks the cat downstairs for a while, so i fall onto the sofa again.
I wake at lunch time and decide to cycle downtown to look around for a bit and meet up with my friend at the Granville Public Market. I set off. Toying with North American traffic is quickly becoming very entertaining. I zip the 49 blocks down Main. I enjoy spending the next 30 minutes getting lost and locating myself on my new pocket map. In a mighty twist of fortune, i find myself on Pacific Boulevard. The scenery is decent so i cycle slowly around taking it all in. Making an ill fated decision i decide to cycle on the sidewalk in order to stay out of the path of the mental SUV's. Approaching a crossing i acknowledge the white man and start to cross. At this point I'm wondering why a colossal Audi roars and rips off to turn right. FUCK! I unclip my feet out of my pedals sub-consciously and jump. I will never know what made me jump. Maybe i am just that smooth. Well i end up sitting on the bonnet of the beast. Which is a bit of a shame, the roof would have been way cooler. Rolling off I'm confronted with a scrawny git who is about to hyperventilate. I'm somehow thoroughly amused. Which is a good thing because i could do this guy some damage. He seems deeply upset. A crowd is starting to develop, but all i want to do is find my bottle which has been smacked for a 6 across the boulevard. Re hydrated, I swap information with the git. A very pretty girl, who i want to do not so pretty things to, gives me her details. Pity you cant get run down in the pub. My Trek has stood up to his beast better than the climate has, and as i check my bike over I'm happy to leave the scene as it is.

Theres a ITU triathlon in Vancouver today and i cycle around the finish line chatting to some of the Scottish athletes. We swap war stories from the streets, or sidewalks, and I bid them good luck. I notice my front wheel is slightly warped and needs some work. So i find my bike shop. Luckily there is a branch of the same shop that i bought my bike from in Whistler. Cycling across the bridge again I'm starting to get pissed off. I phone the git and tell him whats happened. He offers to pay for it. I'm less pissed off. I get to the shop and discover that there is only 100 bucks of damage. I'm wondering if the parts were damaged when i fell of the bridge in Whistler before or in the the crash but screw it, I'm going to get everything i can out of the git.

Having left my bike in the shop i walk to the market and miraculously end up in the pub. Having no one to chat to until my friend arrives, i start chatting to the guy beside me. Finding out he is a religious leader, warning lights flash on. I have been converted to religion before. Having turned myself primal again i have no desire to be run over and return to God in the same day.

Another one of those please....

No comments: